"Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly"

Friday, September 21, 2012


"Grow old along with me! The best is yet to be." ~ Robert Browning
 
Property of GG - Do Not Copy
 
 
I just received my Golden Passport (free Metro Pass - see post from March 2012) today, in time for jury duty at state criminal court on Monday.  Ever since I retired from my full-time job, I have dreaded driving downtown in the awful traffic.  So, now that I have my pass, I only have to drive to the Metro Station and park my car, thus avoiding the rush hour traffic.  My hometown has the infamous designation of having some of the rudest drivers in the U.S.  I'm all for performing my civic responsibility to appear for jury duty, but the biggest inconvenience is simply getting there!

The good news is that in most states and in federal courts you may be permanently excused from jury duty after you reach the age of 70  (alas, something to look forward to as we age!).  The last time I was summoned for jury duty was for the criminal court in Montgomery County, Maryland.  The attorneys for the prosecution and defense proceeded with voir dire and questioned me at length about my background and beliefs.  I made it to the last round, but the defense ultimately decided they didn't need a female, middle-aged WASP on a jury in which the defendant, a 19 year old Latino male, was accused of murder.  I'm hoping that a similar determination will be made of me on Monday!  I will keep you informed on the performance of my civic responsibility .... ♥





No comments:

Post a Comment