"Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly"

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The loss of a beloved pet is always painful, but I think it is even harder to accept when we are older.  We may be living alone with family members far away, thus our pets fill a void and are our constant companions who comfort us and love us ... always unconditionally.

A dear friend of mine lost her little dog yesterday due to kidney failure.  Like me, she was devastated by her loss and I literally feel her pain.  My little Shih Tzu was my constant companion for almost 15 years.  She made me laugh, she licked me when I cried, and she always looked at me with those adoring eyes.  All she asked for in return was food, a warm bed, and lots of TLC.  After she crossed the "rainbow bridge" a couple of years ago, I grieved when I came home from work and she wasn't there to greet me, I imagined I saw her lying on the floor by my side when I worked at my computer, and I even thought I heard her.  That sweet little dog will always have a piece of my heart.

Now that I am retired, and even though I have a fairly active life with many friends nearby, I am feeling the need for another little furry companion. Many of my friends are cat lovers ... but from my experience, nothing can compare to the loyalty of a dog.  Stay tuned. ♥


No comments:

Post a Comment