"Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly"

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

oldest wooden schoolhouse - GGIn case you are wondering, yes, today's photo is the oldest wooden schoolhouse in St. Augustine, Florida.   I have been feeling a little nostalgic lately about the past.  Maybe it's because I recently read  Stephen King's latest novel, 11/22/63.  I am not a Stephen King fan and I have only read one of his previous horror stories, but I loved this book.  After the first few chapters, I couldn't put it down and read the entire 849 pages in a little over a week.  It was that good.  The book involves a time traveler, Jake Epping, a high school English teacher,  emerging from a 2011 rabbit hole that leads to a particular day in 1958.  Jake's ultimate goal is to prevent Jack Kennedy's assassination in Dallas on November 22, 1963.  By thwarting Kennedy's death, he can also save Bobby Kennedy, "save Martin Luther King, stop the race riots, stop Vietnam."  Jake becomes a neighbor of Lee Harvey Oswald and, through surveillance, stalks Oswald's every move. 

The New York Times review of 11/22/63 calls it "a meditation on memory, love, loss, free will and necessity . . . Can history be changed, or does it snap back on itself like a rubber band?   Does love conquer all?"  I highly recommend this book but, if you choose not to read it, I feel confident it will eventually be made into a movie -- a long one. ♥



No comments:

Post a Comment