"Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly"

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Idaho - waterfall rainbow

Wow, I want to be a Volkswalker!  The American Volkssports Association  is a national network of 300+ clubs in 50 states conducting about 3,000 events annually.  The events include walking, swimming, cycling, snowshoeing, and cross-country snow skiing.  The AVA's walking clubs host walks in more than 1,877 self-guided trails in the United States, leading participants through a wide variety of areas, including everything from National Parks to small towns and big cities (http://www.ava.org/).  When you go to the link, click on "What We Are About" to see the video of members enjoying hikes and walks.   You can locate a walking club in your state from this list:  http://www.ava.org/avaclub/avaclub.htm.  Unfortunately, my city doesn't have an AVA walking club ... organizing one is something I should add to my "to do list" (with a little help from my friends).

My orthopedic surgeon told me that walking is the best exercise we can do for our  knees.  I am blessed to live in a climate where I am able to walk outside most of the year; however, during inclimate weather we can also walk at shopping malls or on a treadmill.  Walking provides emotional as well as physical benefits.  "Arthritis Today" reports that walking slows mental decline, improves sleep, lowers the risk of Alzheimer's disease, lightens mood, and can serve as a form of meditation.  Walking is an activity that costs nothing but brings numerous benefts.   Let's get moving! ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment