"Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly"

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Reflections - wilson bucket list

Have you created your bucket list?  I need to get busy on mine so I can do the things and visit the places I want to see while I am still agile and mobile!  I did accomplish two items on my list since retirement.  I took a watercolor painting class as well as a photography class ... and found that both hobbies can be fairly expensive.  Watercolor classes usually cost more to take than photography; however, the supplies for both can add up.

I recall sitting in my watercolor class a few months ago thinking, "I'm really, really happy."  Happy because I have the new found freedom to do the things I have wanted to do for so many years but lacked the time.  I'm happy that I am in control of my life and can choose what I want to do, rather than having to answer to someone else's expectations of me.   My financial resources are limited; however, as I get older I find that I need far less in material items.  It is not things that make me happy ... it is time spent with my family and friends that I cherish the most.  We grandparents are blessed with today's technology where we can do webcams or Facetime to see our grandchildren "face-to-face" even though they may live far away.  Seeing my little grandson each week literally makes my day and helps fill the void in living on the opposite side of the country.

There are so many things we can do to make the most of our lives.  I found this clever list of ideas of "101 Things to Do Before You Die":   http://thingstodo.oncelife.com.au/.   We have more time to travel (I'll be researching senior travel discounts to share with you and take advantage of myself), take up a new hobby, enroll in dance  or music lessons, get involved in your church or synagogue, volunteer at your favorite organization or charity, join or organize a book club, get a pet ... the opportunities are endless!  I don't mean to be redundant, but .... Carpe Diem! ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment