"Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly"

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Bougainvillea - knee replacement
Speaking of creaky joints, yesterday marked the first anniversary of my right knee replacement.  Recovery from the left knee surgery (fall 2009) was easier, but I'm glad both are behind me.  The physical therapy is the toughest part of a knee replacement but it is extremely necessary.   If your doctor says you need a total knee replacement (TKR), go for it -- it won't give you the ability to downhill ski or run races again, but it does alleviate the pain.  And if you do have the surgery,  use the CPM (continuous passive motion) machine afterward as often as possible every day ... it really helps improve your range of motion.

I ride a stationary recumbent bike daily (sometimes several times a day) and walk as often as possible.  About two years ago, I began taking krill oil, which is harvested from krill, a shrimp-like crustacean that lives at the bottom of the ocean.  Krill oil contains considerably more Omega 3-fatty acids than regular fish oil and also astaxanthin, a potent anti-oxidant which is a natural anti-inflammatory.  Claims are that it is good for the heart also.  I buy it at Costco (hint, "mega red" packaging) where it is less expensive than other stores.  Since I began taking krill oil I have found that I can be on my feet, both standing and walking, for much longer periods without any pain.

I just recently learned about Zyflamend from my daughter (and Dr. Oz).  Zyflamend is an over-the-counter supplement containing ginger, turmeric, valerian, etc. (natural anti-inflammatories).  Claims are that it alleviates joint pain as well.  I'll let you know after I have taken it a few weeks.  ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment