"Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly"

Monday, March 26, 2012

"Neuroplasticity: The brain's ability to reorganize itself by forming new neural connections throughout life. " We are never to old to learn and you can teach an old dog new tricks!

Although it is frustrating, normal memory loss includes forgetting where you left something, such as keys or your cellphone (I have been known to call my cellphone from my landline so I can find it!), or walking into a room and not remembering why you entered.   When I was working I often sent myself emails or left myself voice messages as reminders of what I needed to do when I got home.  If I needed to stop at the grocery store to pick up a few items, I memorized the first letter of what I needed to pick up, such as L (lettuce) - A (apples) - B (bacon).  Now I use the memo pad on my iPhone and write notes of what I need to pick up.

Just as physical exercise can keep our bodies healthy, mental exercise is every bit as important to prevent mental decline.  Playing games involving strategy such as bridge, chess, Scrabble, Words With Friends, crossword puzzles, word jumbles, etc., are all great ways to exercise our brains.   Lumosity offers several  online games to improve brain health and performance at this site:  http://www.lumosity.com/app/v4/personalization.  Prevention offers some good games as well:  http://www.prevention.com/health/brain-games/brain-games.

Reading newspapers, magazines, and books helps as well.   Since joining a book club two years ago, I am reading far more than previously and I find it stimulating.  Taking classes  or acquiring a new hobby, gardening,  doing anything that boosts brain power will help prevent memory loss.  And I have learned that one of the greatest tips (in addition to exercise) in preventing memory loss is getting enough sleep. ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment